Thursday, June 7, 2012

Western Civ II

 
     Going to school as an older adult is nothing short of amazing. Take Western Civilization, for example (a class I wasn’t exactly excited about). We reviewed World Wars 1 and 2 in class, and I found the subject matter to be startling, to say the least. I had to have learned about these wars in High School, but I don’t recall that I did (perhaps because I'm too old to even remember High School). My point is, how could they not have made an impression on me? The numbers of casualties in both of these wars alone is staggering. My interpretation can only be attributed to perspective. Being older, and especially being a mom, changes everything.
     We also reviewed the Cold War. As a child, I remember seeing something on TV about the Iron Curtain, although, again, specifics elude me. (Heck, if I don't remember High School, I certainly can't be expected to remember much from when I was in grammar school). I do, however, somewhat remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, only because of air raid drills in school…I was in a classroom of little first graders hiding under our desks with the shades drawn...
     At this point in my life, it is certainly interesting to understand the intricacies of these wars, an epiphany actually. One thing is sure, though, I will never understand why some people(or a lot, apparently) value power, land, control, money, whatever, more than life itself, which is sacred.  I myself am a firm believer in "Live & Let Live".
     But back to Western Civ. The class itself was somewhat challenging. We ended up having our professors switched twice during the course of the semester. I was filled with trepidation, although I knew in my head the change would prove a positive influence on my resilience (at 50-something, I haven’t had enough practice yet…). I met the challenge, despite these changes, and also having had 3 classes cancelled. Score another “A” for me! I ultimately regretted that the class was coming to an end, especially once we were beginning to cover events that happened in my lifetime. But alas, I am done with History.

No comments: