Tuesday, June 5, 2012

On Being a Mom


     I really do try not to “mother” my sons too much, but sometimes I just can’t help myself. I remind them about all the usual stuff. You know, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, be careful driving, don’t drink, don’t smoke. The list goes on and on…. One of my favorites, though, is the traffic report. Can anyone out there tell me why I haven’t figured out that my 30-something son is capable of listening to the traffic report before he leaves for work, without my coaxing? I heard this morning that there was an accident on a major highway near the town where we both work, so I had to text him (and wake him out of a sound sleep) to tell him about it. Oh-I forgot to mention that I start work one hour earlier than he does!  He thanked me, and promptly took the same route to work regardless. Am I surprised by this? Of course not-he probably did it on purpose! Much to my chagrin, everything was clear by the time he arrived! And no, he didn’t bother to check the traffic report himself before he left... I knew it! Why else would I have texted him?  
      I have to say, he was very patient with me. I wasn’t scolded and I didn’t hear the old familiar question: “Remind me again how old I am?”  Oh, but they get even. They have turned the tables on me: “Mom, is your homework done?” (my personal favorite); “Where do you think you’re going?” (okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration); “What time will you be home?” (that's a reasonable question).  That list goes on and on too!  
      I guess old habits die hard. I know they are capable, accomplished men, it’s just that no matter how old they are, they will always be my babies (don’t anyone tell them I said that). I guess I need to exercise some self restraint, and have confidence that they will figure things out for themselves.

No comments: