Sunday, May 5, 2013

"Buddy Breaks a Nail"




     Buddy had to make an unplanned trip to the vet this past week.  My son took him out on Tuesday, and was barely outside when he heard a yelp.  He turned to see blood pouring from Buddy's paw.  Somehow, Buddy managed to nearly tear off a nail.  When I arrived home, I immediately took him to the vet, as I knew this would become problematic.  So the vet, who is very young, and deems himself a comedian, comes out and exclaims "so, Buddy, I hear you broke a nail!" I wasn't amused...  Yes I was.  I thought it was funny, but didn't laugh at the time because I was worried about my dog.  So he took Buddy in the examining room  (I stayed in the waiting room. I was afraid I might faint.)  The vet numbed Buddy's paw, removed the nail, and wrapped his paw in a big bandage.  He prescribed 2 medications, antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory,  and instructed Buddy to stay off his feet for 3-4 days.  The whole thing cost me $181.00. 
     The good news is-Buddy lost two pounds!  I took him for his annual check up early last month, and the Vet indicated that Buddy needed to lose some weight.  At 116 lbs., he was looking rather rotund-kind of like a horizontal pickle barrel on toothpick like legs.  So, he and I began a regimen of walking-thirty minutes each morning before I go to work.  I did not change his eating habits.  He was motivated by a young, sculpted Lab whom we saw walking one day.  I told Buddy that's what he is supposed to look like...Worked like a charm!

No comments: