Sunday, May 12, 2013

"Gotta Love Robert Redford"

     "You're much younger than I expected."
     "Thank you."
     "I didn't mean it as a compliment"
(Susan Sarandon to Shia LaBoeuf in The Company You Keep, early in the film.  I was sold at this point, kind of like "you had me at hello".)

     I went to see The Company You Keep yesterday with one of my girlfriends, having chosen an afternoon with Robert Redford over an afternoon with Leonardo DiCaprio.  When I left, it was at the height of a serious thunderstorm, and I actually pondered going back home and cancelling.  The only reason I didn't is because this particular friend is not as attached to her cell phone as I am to mine, and I would not have been able to reach her.  Anyway, the movie was worth the trip, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite my soaking wet jeans and sneakers.  
     The movie has a stellar cast-many of them old timers whom I never get tired of seeing: Robert Redford, Susan Sarandon, Julie Christie, Chris Cooper.  It feels almost surreal to see these amazing stars, whom I remember so well from their hey-days a number of years back. (That was intentionally vague.  In a way it saddens me to see them aging...)  Additionally, the movie starred Shia La Boeuf, who reminded me of a curly haired Benjamin Braddock.  
     Robert Redford is, as ever, a class act.  The movie was intriguing, a truly good story.  It was devoid of smut, coarse language, and the omnipresent special effects.  Needless to say, I loved it, as did my friend.  Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but when I go to the movies, I was to see a good story.  I don't want to see naked people explicitly engaging in physical relations, numerous ridiculous explosions, nor unbelievable feats of daring, with super human heroes surviving extreme physical assaults.  (Sometimes I believe all of those techniques are to mask a lack of imagination on the part of the writers.)  This movie was a real treat, and I highly recommend it.
    

No comments: