Thursday, March 7, 2013

"You Bet Your..."



They asked me can I multi-task?
In my mind I responded-you bet your a--!
Multi-tasking is something I know how to do.
I would quickly hire me if I were you!

     Do I possess the ability to multi-task? I’m a woman, a wife (formerly), and a mother, for crying out loud!  Of course I can multi-task!  For instance, after spending a grueling day at the office, multi-tasking, I came home (loaded with groceries) to three children, three dogs, a demanding husband, and aging parents.  I can remember standing at the stove making dinner while balancing a small child on my hip, a batch of cookies in the oven, clothes in the washer, and children sitting at the table asking for help with their homework while clamoring for their dinner. These tasks were accompanied by me straightening up, setting the table,  and putting the groceries away. Besides which, the hubby wants attention and the parents are confused.  Sounds like extreme multi-tasking to me.  Too bad I can’t list these feats on my resume. 
     At that time, I was working in a busy Customer Service Department, with parallel demands.  I could be on the phone with an importunate customer, second line ringing, Emails to answer, paperwork to complete, orders to enter, quotes to do, coworkers requiring collaboration, and an onerous boss standing over my shoulder criticizing me relentlessly.  Oh, and additionally I was simultaneously exuding enthusiasm, charm, and good humor. Can I multi-task?  I have turned it into an art form.
     By the way-I am exhausted from merely writing this post... I think I'll take a nap.

No comments: