Saturday, March 30, 2013

"A Sorry Sense of Direction"



     At times, I have a sorry sense of direction. (You already know that if you read my post “Driving Alone II, Lost in Cranford.) For instance, did I ever tell you the real reason that I purchased a cell phone back in 2001?  I made a trip to Taco Bell, to pick up supper for the family.  Mind you, the Taco Bell was a mere 10 minutes from our house.  Well, coming out of their driveway, I made a wrong turn.  (The return trip is not as direct. Really!)  I continued driving, my intuition telling me that I was going the wrong way, but proceeding nevertheless.  (I have since learned to listen to my intuition. She is the brains of this outfit.) I wound up in a somewhat unsavory area, and I asked someone for directions.  They sent me ever deeper into the city.  By this time I am totally exasperated, and there is no one to turn to. My husband (at the time) had been a truck driver for many years, and he knew his way around the state blindfolded.  The problem was, I couldn’t contact him because I didn’t have a cell phone, and there wasn’t a pay phone in sight.  I eventually found a gas station, and the fellow mercifully pointed me towards home and directed me out of the city.  I was amazed when, after going about 4 blocks and making a scant 2 turns, I knew exactly where I was: in my town, 10 minutes from my house, and fortunately for me, I wasn’t back in front of the Taco Bell.  The very next day, I packed the sons up and made a trek to the mall.  We all came home with cell phones that day.  They were thrilled, in spite of the cold tacos they’d had for supper the night before.

No comments: