Saturday, March 9, 2013

"Calamity Lane"



     I recently invested in EZ Pass.  I really didn’t think I needed it, since I rarely drive on toll roads.  My sons however, have been trying to convince me for years of its convenience, regardless of how infrequently I might use it.  I have vehemently resisted, until a recent near calamity provoked me to sign up that very same day. 
     I was returning from a recent job interview (I am always either heading to a job interview, or returning from one) and I needed to get on the Parkway, which is obviously a toll road. I followed the sign at the toll booth which indicated “change/receipts”, and entered, without ever looking at the signal light, which just happened to be…red.  Realistically speaking, the only reason I did notice at all was because the toll collector was standing in the lane directly in front of my car. . (I guess she’s lucky that I at least saw her.) In a moment of panic, I quickly looked behind me, and fortunately, there was no traffic (a rarity in New Jersey). I had to back up, and enter the next lane, which indicated exact change.  Do you think I had any change on me?  In keeping with my life in accordance with Murphy’s Law, that would be a resounding NO!  Obviously, I had to go through the toll without paying, and then wait to receive the ensuing ticket.  Upon my return home, before removing my coat or walking the dog, I immediately parked my stubborn butt at my computer and signed up for EZ Pass on the spot. 
     I installed and christened it yesterday. As I ponder the ill effects of my legendary stubbornness, I’m wondering why I resisted for so long.  Modern technology certainly has its advantages. 
     Now, if I could only convince my sons to chip in and pay my ticket. Too bad I can’t utilize the ever convenient method of maternal guilt. Unfortunately, I can’t use it this time, because my young men were right!



No comments: