Friday, March 15, 2013

"Like a Postman..."



   Neither snow nor rain nor gloom of night*
   Will deter me from my job seeking plight…


      I took my “new” old car to the mechanic yesterday.  I wanted him to give it the once over, in addition to the standard oil and filter change and lube, and look for and correct any problems so that it is ready to commute when I eventually do land a job. (I hope the car lasts that long.  I probably should have bought new. Of course I couldn’t, since I don’t have a job! Ugh!) 
     I figured the car probably needed brakes, as I was hearing a rubbing sound when I would step on them. (I was correct in that assumption.) What I didn’t expect though, was the surprising revelation heaped on me by my mechanic.  He asked me if I’d noticed the car shaking or wobbling.  Well, no, actually.  I hadn’t. The car is so different from the tortoise, which I drove for nearly ten years, that I thought the car was just…different.  If I had noticed, or realized there was a problem, I wouldn’t have been driving it all over the state of New Jersey during the course of my job search. 
     I had asked the mechanic to check the tires, and he said he noticed right away that the right rear tire was, well, lopsided. Additionally, it had a bubble (think of the inflating football in the Our Gang episode Little Papa.) seemingly like it had bounced off of a curb or a large pothole. (It had. Both, in fact.) When the tire hadn’t immediately flattened, I figured I had lucked out. (I did.) Of course I never actually looked at the tire…I have been driving up and down mountainous roads, in the company of tractor trailers and SUV’s, on busy highways, and over bridges in the snow, sleet, and driving rain, all with a bubble in my tire.  I believe my guardian angel has been keeping an eye on me.  I wonder if she could help me land a job…

*adapted from the Post Office motto



No comments: