Monday, July 16, 2012

You Remember How I Feel About Spiders...

 
   They say that everything comes in three’s. Today I encountered three spiders in the first fifteen minutes of my waking day.  I opened my apartment door, only to see a brown one staring me in the face, while simultaneously poised to jump onto Buddy. I squashed him faster than a New York City minute. The second one jumped out at me as I opened my living room window to insert the fan. He was luckier than the first spider. I huffed and puffed like the big bad wolf until he landed outside, not an easy task at my age. If I had just walked up a flight of stairs, the spider would have gotten me for sure. The third spider was waiting for me in the shower. I quickly washed him down the drain for fear that he would have crawled onto my toes, or worse...
     I hate, and fear, spiders. A number of my neighbors and coworkers (and even my readers) can attest to this. Once I refused to go into my apartment because a spider was lazily reclining on my doorbell. Fortunately, one of my neighbors was just getting home from work, and quickly came to my rescue. I must confess, this wasn’t one of the guys. It was one of the women. I can only imagine what she was thinking…
     Another time, one of those recluse spiders was under the mat by the front door. Again, I declined to make entry, as this time I had one of my dogs with me, and I do not want spiders on my dogs any more than I want them on me.  This time I was decidedly more fortuitous, as one of my younger, more handsome neighbors was outside.  He quickly came to my rescue as well, disposing of the unwelcome predator.  My hero!  If I was twenty years younger, I would have thanked him properly…Ah, such is life…

No comments: