Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Stupid Question


     Don’t let anyone ever tell you that there is no such thing as a stupid question. There is. I asked it. My son will attest to it. I spent the afternoon with my sons celebrating 20-something #1’s birthday. To make a long story short, during the drive home, I asked 20-something #2 if he knows how to balance a checkbook.. Mom, he quickly replied, with just a touch of sarcasm, I have my Bachelors Degree in Accounting. I know how to balance a checkbook!  Told you it was a stupid question!  Why did I ask him this ridiculous question?  Because I never learned how to balance my checkbook!  (I’m a writer-not an accountant).   Do I want to learn how at this stage? Not particularly, but it is a skill that may come in handy some day.  By the way, to make myself feel better, I asked him if he can write poetry…    
     Here’s a quick update on school. I am coming up on my third week of Creative Writing.  This class is great too! We write, read our work, and then work shop. On a personal note, I read two of my more profound poems in class. Professor indicated that he felt the one was publishable…He was also highly complimentary of the second poem. I am not going to elaborate more because I am not really comfortable “blowing my own horn”.  (Did I just date myself, or what?)   Suffice to say that I am loving this experience.
                                                                                                                    

No comments: