Thursday, October 25, 2012

"Emoticons"

     In my Communications class, we are learning about the use of emoticons in mediated communication.  This could not come at a more opportune time, as it is assisting me in my ability to communicate with the "younger man" on the Internet.  In my semi-senior ignorance, I thought there were only two active emoticons, as in happy :)  and sad  :( .  Unbeknownst to me, there are... sixty-one!  Well, apparently, the young man is more up on that stuff than I am. In a recent Email, he ended a statement with the following emoticon:  ";)". I attributed the symbol to a typo error, and believed it to be a happy face.  I have been enlightened  (by twenty-something son #1) to the fact that this was in fact, not a typo error, but an indication that the "young man" was winking at me. I promptly referred to my newly printed listing of emoticons, and ended a subsequent Email to him with the following: ";;)". This means that I'm...batting my eyelashes!   I've been practically rolling on the floor =)) with laughter over this exchange, while my son has indicated that he is becoming emotionally scarred from the it.  (I told you my sons are less than thrilled!) My response to them:
"#;". That means "talk to the hand". By the way, I need to use my Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass to actually see the symbols on my printed list. :(
   

No comments: