Saturday, August 3, 2013

"Antiquated"

     I am compelled to share my "prescription" saga with you.  In mid May I went to the doctor for my annual check up, and I had her refill my prescriptions, which she did electronically while I was still seated on the examination table.  Now, I had recently transferred to a new pharmacy which is more convenient to where I am living.  I can, and often do, walk there.  The problem is, they have antiquated methods.  Most doctors submit prescriptions electronically nowadays.  This pharmacy, however, wants prescriptions either phoned in or faxed. (What's a fax machine?)  Due to their strict requirements, plus the fact that my doctor has very limited office hours, I was waiting-are you ready for this-six weeks to get my prescriptions filled.  It took a multitude of phone calls and visits to the pharmacy, as well as phone calls to the doctor, all in an apparent exercise in futility.  It got to the point where I instructed my doctor to submit the prescriptions to my former pharmacy before I ran out of my meds. (Did I previously mention convenience?)  Would you believe that my former pharmacy phoned me within the hour to advise me that my prescriptions were ready to be picked up?  So I retrieved my medicine, and put the incident out of my mind.  About a week later, my new pharmacy texted me (they are updated in that respect) to tell me that my prescriptions were ready to be picked up.  Needless to say, I retrieved them.  This way I'll have a little extra stored for the next six week lag  (rather like a squirrel preparing for winter).  No-that isn't the end of the story.  The new pharmacy texted me again this week....to inform me that my prescriptions were ready for pick up!  I was somewhat puzzled, but I retrieved them anyway.  They had filled the prescriptions again!  So, because the my new pharmacy is anal and antiquated, I got my prescriptions filled three times!  Kind of defeats the purpose of being so controlling, don't you think?  Ah well, I don't have to go back to either pharmacy for about two years!  Now that's convenient!   My insurance company is going to love it...

No comments: