Sunday, August 18, 2013

"Senior Student"

     Over the summer, the students from my college traveled to Europe.  I wish I'd known about the trip. I could have traveled as a student, and doubled as a chaperone!
     Some of the establishments in my town offer student discounts, provided you present your student I.D.  I wonder if I could utilize my Student discount and Senior Citizen discount simultaneously? 
     You know how grocery stores have convenient parking designated for expectant mothers and parents with young children?  Well, I have presented to my college that they incorporate "senior student" parking into their overcrowded parking system.  Believe me when I tell you, it's no small feat for me  to cross five parking lots to get to class.  I'm generally too winded upon arrival to even utter a greeting when I enter the classroom, the students viewing me with puzzled amusement as I attempt to catch my breath.  It's just not fair!  They don't require a nap after walking from car to class.   Besides,  I have to head to school thirty minutes earlier than the youngsters, and I arrive home thirty minutes later. I could take an extra class with the time and energy I expend dragging myself through the parking lot. 
     This coming semester I am registered for my favorite subject!  It's a writing course: Introduction to Business and Technical Writing.  I am looking forward to returning to school after my summer respite.  I hated that I didn't attend this summer, thereby missing out on having earned six more credits.  However, at this age, I recognize my limitations.  I am too old to over extend myself and to self impose that kind of pressure.  At this rate, I will have earned my diploma at the same time that I qualify for Social Security...I won't have to take off work to graduate-I'll be retired!
 

No comments: