Sunday, August 18, 2013

"The Color Red"

     I recently shared with you how I do things by rote.  That sometimes includes doing laundry.  I gathered up my (white) bedding, and absentmindedly tossed it in the washer and the dryer.   Entering the laundry room to retrieve my stuff from the dryer,  I heard something clinking around as it spun.  I was puzzled, as I hadn't included anything with buckles, or any kind of metal or plastic.  I was horrified when I opened the dryer, and found my bedding streaked with red.  There was my Bonnie Belle red Lip Smacker in the middle of the heap, completely melted...Always one to see the glass as half full, I reasoned that it could have been worse-I also sleep with my cell phone and remote control...
        I bought a set of sheets at a reputable establishment, not only because I needed them, but additionally, they were on sale for 50% off.  Imagine my surprise when opening the package, and I discovered they were somewhat soiled, not to mention, damp.   You know how sheets are packaged with cardboard?  Well, these sheets were wrapped around dirty, damp cardboard...some old box that the manufacturer had received a delivery in...And no, the sheets weren't manufactured in the good old USA...
     I have noticed more often than not, that there is very poor quality in a lot of the goods I purchase and pay good money for.  Permanent Press, for example, is a thing of the past.  (I can remember when it was the latest thing!  Women could throw away their irons. I was one of them!)  Not now. Everything needs to be ironed.  And do I hate to iron...
     Have you noticed how blues and blacks fade, and quickly?  Still new clothes take on a weathered look way before their time.  Additionally, the colors run...forever...  I need to be much more cautious sorting colored clothing to be laundered.  I have invested a small fortune in the complex laundry room, as well as the local dry cleaner's.  I could have filled my gas tank with what it cost me to have two dresses cleaned.  Ugh!  I know how to sew.  Maybe I should start making my own clothes...and sheets...
   

No comments: