Tuesday, November 6, 2012

“I’m Too Old For This…”



Since you walked away from me
The tears I’ve shed could fill a sea.
Though at times I’m happy to be free,
‘Tis a sorrow filled life I lead.    

     You may be wondering why I have incorporated Internet dating into my blog, which mainly is about a 50-something woman returning to college. Well-don’t most college students date?  I don’t always have amusing stories to relate regarding school (it is school, after all), but I am hopeful the Internet dating topic compensates. 
     I have decided to take a leap of courage, and give my phone number to a couple of fellows I’ve been Emailing (and no, not the young one).  Issue number one: the “man of few words” doesn’t like to Email. I don’t like to talk on the phone.  Already, we disagree. However, I relented and provided my phone number.  He called pretty quickly, and I…declined to answer!  He left a voicemail message, which I…retrieved promptly. Here’s another problem. I don’t like the sound of his voice.  I know-I’m anal, and slightly shallow. I always have been, and keep in mind that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.  So now I’m wondering how recent his picture is, because he sounds considerably older than he appears. How do I get out of this one?
     The other fellow asked me out to dinner, and also indicated that we should probably talk first.  I responded agreeably, but (deliberately) did not provide my phone number. He subsequently responded that he was going to send up smoke signals! I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard.  Once I regained my composure, I sent him my phone number.  I will keep you posted on that one.
     You know, one thing I have realized through all of this is that it’s no fun being a teenager. It’s even less fun living like a teenager when you’re approaching retirement age. I’m too old for this sheet…(I didn’t say it, although I was tempted).  I don’t want to be alone, but I also don’t relish the idea of starting over.  Also, I really don’t want to be distracted from pursuing my college education…Why is nothing ever simple?
    

No comments: