Monday, December 3, 2012

"If the Shoe Fits..."



     Some of my fellow students continue to amaze me, and not in a good way.  Remember on a recent blog post, I was complaining about some students’ inability to pronounce words and/or read aloud properly? One student in particular doesn’t know what a hyphenated word is. For example: new-age.  Not terribly difficult, right? I mean, this is not a Physics course at Princeton University that I’m attending! Well, the young student pronounced it…newej, as in, rhymes with sewage! What the fudge! (If you’ve seen Christmas Story, I know you get that).
     I had to read aloud also.  My problem was with the dialogue in the particular novel, some of which was rather coarse, and embarrassing for me to read.  The young students were chuckling as I obviously hesitated before stating the offensive words, while sinking into my desk, much like a turtle retreating into her shell.  Sometimes I’m too straight laced for my own good.  Ah well…at least my pronunciation was correct…(I was not quite as straight laced in my youth).
     I had an exam in my Communications class, and I scored another “A”.  Most of my professors have a propensity for asking tricky questions, this one in particular.  Professor indicated that one needs to be a “sophisticated reader” to do well in this course.  I never considered myself to be a sophisticated reader, but, if this particular shoe fits, I’ll certainly wear it.
    I registered for the spring semester, and am taking just one course-the dreaded Biology course that I chickened out of in the Fall.  I was reading reviews on “Rate My Professor” about the fellow who is teaching this class.  One student indicated not to take him because he gives really hard “quizes”. (Needless to say, I disregarded that assessment.)  Another indicated that when the professor gives tests, his instructions are merely to… study the lecture notes and textbook.  Are you kidding me?  When I went to grammar school and high school, we would have exams that covered an entire school year, and I assure you, not one teacher gave us an inclination as to specifics.  What do these kids want? A copy of the exam in advance?  Last but not least, one student indicated that the exams are really hard, and the professor doesn’t allow any extra credit projects.  Might they ponder the concept of merely embracing the course material?  Can you imagine if I were the professor?  My assessment might go something like this: ”don’t trust the b--- in classroom 23”…

No comments: