Thursday, January 1, 2015

"Term of Endearment"

    It really bugs me when people say "I could care less", which means I could care less, as opposed to "I couldn't care less", which means I could not care less.  Another example is when someone says drive safe, versus drive safely.  One stands a better chance of staying safe by driving safely
     I have always made it abundantly clear that spelling accuracy is very important to me, meaning I  could care less about the subject.  I am  of the opinion that, if spelling is a weakness, one should invest in a dictionary!  I don't mean to brag, but I have always been a good speller.  Nevertheless, being a fallible human, I keep a dictionary on my desk.  (I know-I'm dating myself!)  When I was in grammar school, back in the 1960's, when corporal punishment was accepted, misspelled words often resulted in a thrashing with a poker, meted out by a strong armed nun, in addition to a poor grade, and a probable spanking once you brought the inferior grade home.  Talk about motivation!   Those nuns must be spinning in their graves if they can see what is going on in the schools now...
      I have recently witnessed the most gross misspellings ever:  Dicember  (December),  reepor  (report),  and Wensday  (Wednesday).  Two of the three appeared on an outdoor sign at a local school.  Seriously?  If you can't spell, I should think you wouldn't want to advertise it, especially if you are running a school. And if your spelling is that bad, how are you in that position anyway?  By the way-I don't respond to Emails marked "urget" (urgent), and I would never apply for a job at a company advertising "immidite" (as opposed to immediate) openings.
      I am also anal about the correct meaning of words.  Someone informed me recently that the word "aunt" is a term of endearment. (theoretically it could be, but only if you are not related to the person you refer to as "aunt").  I wanted to be angry with her, but I was too moved by pity.  Daniel Webster did not reside in her home, so I sent her a copy of the latest edition of the Merriam-Webster, with a bright book mark and highlighting at the appropriate page/word. We are no longer on speaking terms, but at least she knows my role.
     I read an article where the author was discussing "glove" warming.  She wasn't referring to placing her mittens on a radiator in winter, but to the phenomenon of global warming.  I don't believe this was entirely her  fault, because if teachers and principals can't spell, as is demonstrated above, how is a student supposed to learn correct spelling or word meaning?   That is not to say that the fault lies solely with the teachers.  I believe that teachers are held far too accountable for students' grades, while students are not nearly accountable enough for their performance.   Additionally, it seems that parents do not provide teachers with proper support when dealing with difficult students, nor do our courts support parents who are dealing with difficult offspring.  I recently read an article about a 21 year old woman who sued her parents, insisting that they pay her college tuition.  The judge ruled in the young woman's favor!  If a person is of legal age, why should his or her parents be compelled to pay for that person's schooling?  I am not in favor of people looking for a handout, be it from their parents, spouses, or the government.  Personally, I find all of the above bewildering.  Don't you?

    

No comments: