Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Fearless

     As a Catholic and a Christian, I am offended by those who would take Christ out of Christmas, as, I am sure, are many other Christians.  The difference between us and a percentage of some members of other religions, is that we Christians don't opt to slaughter en masse those who do not support our views, or who demean our beloved Lord.  Christians are taught to pray for our "enemies", not massacre them.
    To say that I am appalled by the recent vicious terrorist attacks in Sydney and Paris would be a gross understatement.  I am particularly disturbed by the execution of the French policeman, Ahmed Merabet, a Muslim, who was simply doing his job.  People who kill and terrorize in the name of God love to kill,  terrorize, and exert control.  They merely use the name of God to justify their distorted lust for the blood of the innocent.  It is that lust that propels them to arbitrarily kill, even their own. 
    I will forever remember  the images of distraught people waiting for the arrival of doomed Pan Am Flight 103 in December 1988.  It is my first recollection of terrorism.  The memory of watching the news, with my baby in my arms, crying for the victims and their relatives, is vivid still.  I am saddened by countless other acts of terrorism that have occurred since.  The murder of children and teachers in Pakistan recently was a despicable act.  I heard on the news that some female teachers were burned alive.  What could possibly justify such a horror?  Most recently, the image of French policeman Ahmed Merabet lying on the ground with his hands up in surrender will be forever seared in my memory, as will images of our Towers and the planes that struck them, or innocent hostages in coffee shops and supermarkets running in fear from those who would harm them. 
     With today's technology, and the ability to see and hear anything online instantaneously,  I imagine that those who would choose to intimidate and terrorize are enjoying the graphic images of their handiwork.  I wonder if sensationalizing their heinous acts is encouraging and gratifying them.   I feel it is now more important than ever to collectively strive for a peaceful coexistence amongst all the peoples of the world.  Otherwise-where will all of this end?  Are we destined to be forever enmeshed in a climate of hatred and killing?  I have only to think of my children, and the grandchildren that I hope to have one day.  I want them to inhabit a world in which they do not have to fear getting on a plane, going to school or work, seeing a movie, or stopping to buy a cup of coffee. 
     In my youth, I was fearless.  I considered myself privileged to live and to raise my children in the safest country in the world, naively believing that nothing could touch us.  Having witnessed increasing acts of terrorism, not only worldwide, but within my own country, has been both traumatic and foreign to me.  I could not be more shocked than I am over the recent beheading of a woman in her place of employment-in Oklahoma!  She was not even the intended victim, any more than  Ahmed Merabet was.
     As a parent, I worry incessantly about the safety and well being of my family.  Now, however, in addition to the normal parental worries, there are the added worries of radicals who could possibly take members of my precious family from me. In my opinion, we should utilize modern technology to promote love and respect for one another, and tolerance for those who are different, be it in views, religious beliefs, appearance, or nationality.  The time is now- before any more innocent people are executed.

No comments: