Saturday, January 17, 2015

Canine Cuspid, or Lack Thereof

     I recently noticed that Buddy, my chocolate Lab, had a funky smell about him.  Initially, I thought perhaps he had stepped in some dog mess outside, but there was no physical evidence of that.  Then, as I was lying on the couch (one of my favorite pastimes), he approached and subsequently breathed on me!  The offensive odor was coming from his mouth!  In a shocking and worrisome deja vu, I remembered by beautiful yellow Lab, Holly, who, years before, had the same rotten odor emanating from her mouth.  She had cancer-of the tongue-and was gone within the week.  The Vet indicated that he hadn't seen that condition in a dog in twenty three years!  How traumatic it was, especially knowing we would have to put her down.  My brave son, who was just eighteen at the time, took her for me, and stayed with her, as I couldn't do it.  I still miss her...
     I hurriedly made an appointment with our Vet, and, much to my relief, Buddy's bad breath was merely caused by a cracked and infected tooth, which would require oral surgery to be removed.  I scheduled his appointment for the day after Christmas.  As with humans, he was not allowed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight. He stared at me in puzzlement that entire morning.  I explained it to him, but I don't think he was listening...
      Big "scaredy-dog" that he is, Buddy hides behind me whenever anyone approaches.  On that day, a look of shear terror crossed his face when he realized I was leaving him with the Vet.  "Maternal" guilt kicked in, and I left there feeling dejected, but aware that what I was doing was in his best interest.  The surgery was done in a number of hours, and I picked him up at suppertime.  
     The Vet indicated that Buddy might experience difficulty navigating stairs due to the anesthesia.  Have I mentioned his weight?  Ninety three pounds!  And that we inhabit a second floor apartment?  Fortunately for me, he was just a little wobbly, and also highly motivated to return to his personal love seat.  We ascended the stairs without a hitch.  
     Buddy's diet was restricted to soft foods for two weeks.   I have always given him dry food, so the canned dog food was like going from a diet of  stale bread and water to steak tartare and Dom Perignon.  He required no encouragement to eat.  
     It's been three weeks now.  Buddy has had his follow up visit with the Vet, and is doing fine.  His gums have healed nicely, and the funky smell is completely gone.  It was well worth the nearly one thousand dollars that it cost me.  He is such a good dog, and I love him so much.  Hopefully, that canine "old man" will be with me for years to come.
                                                                  "Me and Buddy"
                                                                "Holly and Brandy"

No comments: