Sunday, March 9, 2014

"Unwelcome Changes"

     I never thought it would happen to me, but old age is staring me directly in the face, and throwing punches.  As I ponder my declining state, I have noticed the following unwelcome changes.
     I have diminished hearing in my right ear.  I find this to be annoying since, when talking on the phone, I consistently, and historically,  have the phone to my right ear.  Having always been resistant to change, I am unwilling to switch.  So please forgive me for continually requesting that you repeat yourself.  Believe me, it annoys me as much as it does you.  Just not enough to provoke me to change.
     I always go to sleep with the television on and the timer set, with the volume just loud enough  to be audible.  This works well if I am lying on my left side.  However, last night I switched sides and realized the TV was blasting.  My neighbors must love me.
     Did you see Ellen at the Academy Awards last week, when she was shouting dialogue at the older actress, June Squibb?  It reminded me of a conversation between my friends and I.  Unless, of course, they are seated to my left...
     Another issue I am having is with night driving.  The lights from oncoming vehicles threaten to blind me, so I drive slowly, and try to ignore those tailgating me.  My sister has her own solution...she shuts her eyes!
     My mind is becoming a barren desert,  with random words and thoughts blowing around it like tumbleweed.    When I cannot recall a word, I almost feel it rolling around in there, and patiently wait for it to surface, which can take a few minutes...or a couple of days, which causes some difficulty when I have an exam. If I am out with a friend, however, between the two of us, we can form full sentences, usually finishing each others by filling in words or names, rather like completing a vocal crossword puzzle. (If my memory would allow-I'd provide some examples.)  All of this makes me wonder how I expect to learn a foreign language, when I can barely form full sentences in my own...Why do you think I like to write?  I can take days to compose a post, and no one will be the wiser.


    

No comments: