Sunday, February 23, 2014

"Another Saturday Night and..."

     My sister informed me that people with osteoporosis are better off to carry a little extra weight.  (Having been recently diagnosed, I'm guessing that having regained ten of the nine pounds I lost last year is a good thing.)  I subsequently rushed her off the phone so I could make another batch of rice pudding.  I had to run to the store to buy milk. (I didn't really run-couldn't if I wanted to, and I don't want to, although I wouldn't mind being able to), and also picked up a few myriad items while I was there.  I had a hankering for some lunch meat, and purchased a quarter pound each of three different types.  Then I realized with dismay that I had morphed into one of those annoying seniors who holds up the line by doing just that-ordering a quarter pound each of seventeen different meats and cheeses.  I was happy there were no young people waiting behind me, rolling their eyes and sighing with annoyance, as I used to do. That was not likely to happen on a Saturday night, however. (Sadly, this was one of my more exciting Saturdays!)  Next I went to purchase my favorite salad dressing, but I stopped cold when I saw the price: $4.49 for one bottle!  Needless to say that bottle is collecting dust on that same shelf, as I purchased a bargain brand for only $1.49, sacrificing taste for the three dollars that would remain in my wallet!  Then I trotted off to the pet section and bought a rawhide bone for Buddy @ $5.49. Hmmm....
     My BFF came over for a visit , and I turned her on to my new favorite show: Downton Abbey.  She liked the show, but wasn't real crazy about the accents.  Did I mention that she's English?
     In French class the other evening, two young men behind me wouldn't stop talking.  My professor, a petite, soft spoken woman,  was very diplomatic, and asked if they had a question.  (They didn't.)  I was so tempted to turn around and shout "fermez la bouche" (shut your mouth), a phrase I never forgot from high school French.  I exercised self restraint and merely requested, no, suggested, with blatant disdain, that they keep it down.  They were behaving like grammar school boys! Ugh!  Je ne suis pas patiente...I have no patience...
    Much to my annoyance, on another occasion, the professor was providing instructions on capitalization, and also the importance of punctuation, a necessity in any language.  I sat there in abject incredulity that such instructions would be delivered in a college classroom.  Later, when one of my fellow students referred to a period as a dot (confusing sentences with web addresses) I realized that the instructions were absolutely necessary.  (There are many in the corporate world who would benefit from her instructions as well.)  Have you ever tried to understand multiple sentences all running together without so much as a "dot" (being facetious) or a comma?  I am at my wits' end with it all.  How do you say "What The Fudge" in French?   

 

No comments: