Sunday, February 9, 2014

"Small Animals, Harsh Winters"

     My Dad was a wonderful man, rich in patience, love, and compassion.  It is from my Dad that I inherited my love and compassion for animals.  I remember as a child that the winters were very harsh.  During those times that the ground was encased in frozen snow, my Dad was concerned for the small animals that had no means of obtaining anything to eat through the earth's crusty white blanket that stretched as far as the eye could see.  I remember him placing bits of bread in our yard, and then peeking with me through a curtained window to wait until the hungry birds and squirrels would appear and feast on the tasty morsels.  Together we would marvel at the famished animals as they hurriedly devoured their much needed meal.  To this day I think of my Dad on days like this.  I wonder did he have any idea of the impact his actions had on his small daughter, who grew into a woman who carries on his tradition still, after fifty plus years.  I  watch the animals joyfully as they scurry back and forth from their nests in a frenzy to have their hunger sated by the varied bits of food that I leave outside for them, while I imagine my Dad beside me, a tender smile on his face.  I have tears in my eyes as I write this, remembering my gentle Dad, and wishing he were still here with me.  I hope that I have managed to make him proud, as I am proud of him.



No comments: