Sunday, September 1, 2013

"No Respect"



     My sister came to visit recently, armed with a gigantic bag of Twinkies, the remainder of which she ultimately left with me.  (Although I love sweets, I can't remember the last time I'd eaten a Twinkie!) So, I called to ask her what I'm supposed to do with them.  She suggested I have one a day..."You mean, like a vitamin?"  I queried... I doubt the effects would be the same, although I suspect they would go a lot down easier...
 
      I received an Email from Amazon which included “local deals”.  I usually delete them promptly, unless of course, they include an offer that’s relevant. This one did!  It indicated savings on clothes for college.  The problem with that was…the deal was from Mandee’s.  Apparently Dress Barn is not a common source for “back to school” clothes.

     In a recent post, I was telling you about the sense of hearing in “older” adults, or should I say…lack thereof.  My "Psychology of Aging" textbook indicated that, when conversing with older adults, one should use “Elderspeak”.  Elderspeak” means reducing the complexity of grammar, using more repetition, speaking more slowly and in shorter sentences.  Sounds to me like  1984-"Senior" Edition... 
 
     "Bozo". "Jaybird". "Boston Blackie". "For this she needs white teeth". "All brawn and no brains". "Step and fetch it". "No neck”.  "Short cake”.  In my youth, these were nicknames that certain members of my family had for some of my boyfriends. Talk about getting no respect! Rodney Dangerfield had nothing on me!




No comments: