Monday, September 23, 2013

"Left Handed Compliment"

       Recently, I purchased a pair of embellished stockings.  They were popular when I was much younger, and have made a comeback, as most fashions do.  I wondered (briefly) if they were perhaps too youthful for me.  Since I don't really care about that, I bought them anyway. (Seriously. I still wear hiphuggers, love beads, and shirts embossed with peace signs. And I'm not too proud to shop in the Junior Department to get them.) 
     I wore the stockings to work today, and wasn't one of the twenty-somethings sporting the same stockings.  We smiled at each other with amusement, and I casually mentioned my misgivings about wearing them.  "How old are you?", she queried. "I'm closer to sixty than I care to admit" I whispered . And then I admitted it. "I'm fifty eight."  She subsequently indicated to me that I reminded her of her...grandmother. Ugh! (This conversation gets better.) She said her grandmother looks good for her age too. (That's what you call a left handed compliment.)  She continued, "I'm always telling her if you've still got it, flaunt it." Then she said to me "and girl, you've still got it."  Have I mentioned how fond I am of this young woman?


No comments: