Friday, February 8, 2013

"Mature Students"



     I have learned in my Psychology of Aging class that there are three versions of “old”.  They are: “young/old”, which encompasses ages 65-74, “old/old”, which encompasses ages 75-84, and “oldest/old”, which encompasses ages 85 and above.  These classifications were very exciting for me, as I came to the realization that I am not even close to becoming a member of the category of “young/old” group yet.  In fact, being 50-something, I would be part of the “oldest/young” group, if there is such a thing.  At this juncture of my life, if I can use the word “young” to describe myself in any capacity, I’ll take it! 
     I have to say that this is the most serious minded group of students I’ve encountered in the last eighteen months.  I imagine only serious students would enroll in a class about aging.  Serious students, and, shall we say, mature students (like me!).  Mature has a  more flattering ring to it than old, don’t you think?

No comments: