Sunday, February 24, 2013

R & R: Retirement and Ringtones



     Does anyone know what a NORC is?  Well, I didn’t until last week when my Professor explained it.  A NORC is a “naturally occurring retirement community”.  Then she went on to say that the very apartment complex that I live in is a NORC.  (Someone needs to tell that to my noisy neighbors!)  Basically, there is a rapid turnover among the young tenants (not rapid enough for me) while the older tenants stay put.  So much so, in fact, that Senior Services has been brought into the complex, and they maintain an office here.  (Apparently they are not located in my section.)  I need to check this out.  Perhaps they can exert some pressure on the young party animals that are driving me crazy.
     We are now learning about senses and perception, focusing on hearing. We were introduced to Mosquito Ringtones.  I didn’t know what they were, nor did many of my classmates.  According to the website, most people over thirty are incapable of hearing the various high frequency tones.  Basically, Professor included this in the lesson to demonstrate the varying levels of hearing ability among the students. However, the ringtones are very appealing to young people, as most teachers and parents won’t be able to hear them.
      We tested the varying levels, which are broken down into age ranges of 18, 24, 30, 39,49,50,60, and everyone else.  The higher the age range, the louder the beeping.  The only tones I could hear were the 51-60 and everyone ranges.  The younger students in the class were obviously able to hear the other sounds quite well.  This whole concept is amazing to me.  So I asked one of my son’s girlfriends if she was familiar with Mosquito Ringtones.  Surprisingly, she wasn’t.  I promptly enlightened her. (She is no longer a student, and wouldn’t have used it in class even if she were). So I tested some of the ringtones on her.  She was, of course, able to hear many more levels than I could.  Additionally, the tones are alleged to be bothersome to dogs due to the high frequency.  Buddy, however, didn’t even stir.  I guess he’s as tone deaf as I am.

No comments: