Sunday, March 8, 2015

Classic Films

     One of my favorite movie theaters, the Clearview Claridge in Montclair, shows classic movies every Saturday & Sunday.  It is a thrill seeing a classic movie on the big screen, even though the screens at the Claridge aren't all that big.  They are still larger than my television's screen.  The theater has screened such classics as On the Waterfront,  Gone With the Wind, Dr. Zhivago, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, The Princess Diaries.  The what?  The Princess Diaries?  Since when is The Princess Diaries a classic film?  I've been waiting for ages for the theater to screen The Best Years of Our Lives or From Here to Eternity, yet they screen The Princess Diaries.  Upcoming films include The Sound of Music, The Apartment, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Stella Dallas (the original with Barbara Stanwyck), and Beetlejuice.  What the fudge!?!?!?!?!  Now, don't get me wrong-I am a big fan of the movie Beetlejuice.  I consider it to be very entertaining.  But a classic?  I think someone is confused about the meaning of the word.  I don't know if it's the folks who are requesting the films, which can be done online, or the people doing the actual scheduling,  but if they are advertising classic films, then only classic films should be screened in that time slot.   Of course, classic films are not restricted to really old films, for example from the forties, fifties, or sixties.  I would think they'd show "newer" old films, such as Fatal Attraction, Jurassic Park, or Jaws, before they would show The Princess Diaries or Beetlejuice.  But what do I know?  In the words of Anna Bates (Downton Abbey), there's no accounting for taste.

No comments: